At A Glance:
3050 Chicago Avenue
Learning Centers provide enrichment workshops for Homeschool, Venture, and Keys students. The schedules vary by location and student interests and needs. The Learning Center helps families connect with other homeschoolers to create a strong support system. Families enjoy the non-traditional choice of independent study while benefiting from time-honored school activities. Many of our locations participate in activities such as school pictures, yearbooks, open houses, and the opportunity to perform or compete as a group. Through events, outreach, activities, and guest speakers, learning center students use the community as the classroom throughout the year.
One or two days per week, workshops that are offered include favorites such as Hands-on Science, Math, and Spanish, as well as new choices each year. Many of our TK-8 locations have performance classes such as Musical Theater and classes involving the community such as FIRST Lego League. We often hear that the lives of Homeschool, Venture, and Keys students are changed because of the friendships they have made here and the academic support they’ve received.
MISSION AND VISION
We offer homeschool families a variety of unique, year-long workshops to enrich their educational experience. Our workshops incorporate academics and the arts to inspire individual interests and passions. Our nurturing staff partner with parents to support educational progress in a safe environment for positive social development.
How do we personalize learning for each student?
- Building relationships and getting to know the students, parents, and their Education Specialist is a key component in personalizing!
- We personalize learning by giving students various options of classes that cater to not only their interest but involving parents in the process.
- Our teachers personalize learning by setting goals for their students based on each child’s individual need and then provide multiple paths to meet those goals.
- We personalize learning by offering smaller class sizes and a team-oriented approach to ensure success. Each member of our teaching team brings different skills and training.
- We personalize learning by working with our students and their individual learning styles. We look at how they learn: either by verbal instruction, visual aids, and perhaps whole body. With our customized lessons, we can focus on their abilities and work with our students to apply their own individual strengths to their own learning situations.
- We also personalize learning by giving students extension activities to do at home which can be used to supplement their homeschooling curriculum.
- The learning starts with the learner. Learning is tailored to the individual needs of each learner, not just to the “one size fits all.”
- In the ICAN math class, we personalize learning by tailoring our math centers to each student’s unique style of learning and personal needs. Our goal is to offer alternative and engaging options to students who feel ready to progress to the next level (math games, puzzles, etc.) and work more in-depth with those students who are struggling with certain concepts.
Why personalize learning?
- Students are more engaged and cooperative in a personalized learning environment, which allows them to successfully achieve their goals.
- Personalized learning promotes a “give and take” environment to build leaders and team-oriented adults instead of a test-taking robot.
- Personalized learning enables a student to seek more out of their education. By incorporating this personalized learning, it allows room for more student inquiry, and also develops a passion for academics.
- Personalized learning inspires students to think outside of the box and encourages them to become actively engaged in their education through passion and excitement.