Counseling & Support

Toggle Section Menu

Concurrent / Dual Enrollment

Concurrent Enrollment Policy

Students who wish to enroll in community college courses must obtain the concurrent enrollment paperwork from their specific college and submit the forms to the Springs’ Guidance department to get a counselor’s approval and signature. Springs students may obtain both high school and college credit for specific courses taken at the community college level provided certain guidelines are followed. Students should have discussed course options and graduation implications with a school counselor prior to enrolling in community college courses.

  • A student enrolled full time with Springs may take 2 community college courses (not to exceed 9 units) at the community college and receive dual credit for the courses. Full time enrollment is defined as a student who is attempting 20 units of Springs Charter School courses within any given term. Community College classes do not count toward the necessary 20 units.
  • The following factors will be reviewed by the school administrator prior to granting approval for Springs students to attend community college courses through the concurrent enrollment process:
    • GPA in College Prep Courses: Students requesting more than 2 community college general education courses must maintain A & B grades in A-G level Springs core courses.
    • Vocational Courses: Students requesting 2 community college vocational courses must maintain A & B grades in all Springs courses and take a sequence of courses that meet the student’s post graduation goals.
    • Continued Community College Class Enrollment: Students will be considered for continued enrollment in community college courses based on successful completion of previous community college classes.
    • Academic History: Students requesting concurrent enrollment typically have a history of strong academic performance in both high school and community college level.

Non publicly funded options: Students who are enrolled in private college sponsored programs in which the entire tuition is paid by the parent, the student or through a SCS approved vendor, and in which there is no known state apportionment payments for the course, are not restricted to concurrent enrollment guidelines.

Click here to access the California Community Colleges website.

Dual Enrollment Program

Dual enrollment is a program that guarantees qualified high school students seats in select college courses at the Mt. San Jacinto College Menifee campus free of charge. Students who participate earn college and honors level high school credit simultaneously.

Dual Enrollment Objectives are to:

  • Reduces college costs for students and families.
  • Reduces the length of time it takes for students to obtain their academic and/or career goals.
  • Increases college credits awarded to high school students.

Who Can Participate: Students must be juniors or seniors having the support of their parents, ES/TOR, and a high school counselor who verifies appropriate college level capability based multiple measures including assessment scores, GPA, and current level of academic rigor in progress.

Unit Calculations for Community College Courses

College courses that are listed on the CSU and/or UC Transferable Course Lists will be calculated for high school units at 3.33 high school units for each 1 community college course unit and not to exceed 10 SCS units per course. CSU and UC Transferable Course Lists may be found at

Examples include:

CC Units…. x 3.33=…. SCS Units….
English 3 x 3.33= 10
P.E. 1 x 3.33= 3.33
P.E. 1.5 x 3.33= 5
Spanish I…. 5 x 3.33= 10

High school students may take any community college course, however those courses that are not on the CSU/UC Transferable course list will receive 3-5 SCS units for each 3 unit community college course. For example, if a student is taking Woodshop (3 college units) at the community college, they may only receive 5 high school units or one semester’s worth of credit with Springs.

Community College Documentation and Transcripts

Courses taken at the community college may or may not need to be documented in the student’s learning record. There are two options:

  • Home School only: Community College courses in which the school has paid for any portion of the college course materials must be showing as an active course in OASIS, documented in the Learning Records, showing a portfolio sample and a grade recorded.  Students may enroll in OASIS’s Special Interest course titles: College Course 1 & College Course 2 for audit purposes. ESes should select “N” to indicate that the courses should not show on the high school transcript. Once the student has completed the college course, and Springs has received an official transcript from the college, the ES should post the final grade awarded by the professor.
  • All community college courses that are completed by the student will be posted on Springs transcripts after submission of an official transcript from the college to the guidance department. It is the student’s responsibility to have the Official Transcript sent from the college. The ES/Teacher may use unofficial documentation for purposes of tracking academic progress towards graduation however, the High School diploma will not be complete until official documents have been received and posted to the student’s transcript.

Note: It is the student’s responsibility to provide enrollment and/or verification of completed course work to the ES at the beginning and completion of each semester. The ES is responsible for monitoring academic progress towards completion of Graduation Requirements.


The first day I took my daughter to her kindergarten class, it was bright, colorful, and inviting. She told me that she was ready for school.

- Robin S., Parent
Apply Today Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram